Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Costco Food Court Chocolate Frozen Yogurt-Sweet Treat At A Sweet Price

After I was done shopping there the other day, I got myself a cup of Costco's soft serve frozen yogurt. While they offer chocolate, vanilla and swirl, the choice for me was an easy one and I got the chocolate.

I want to be clear, it does not taste as rich and creamy as the best chocolate ice cream out there, but it is a very well done yogurt. It definitely tastes chocolaty and the texture is smooth and firm.  I found the portion size quite generous. At 390 calories it is fewer calories than most ice creams and certainly less than a couple of candy bars that would not be as filling. Plus there is some nutritional value, as you can see from this chart of the nutritional value of some of Costco's food court items.  Even just looking at it, it is impressive. I put my membership card in the photo so you could get some idea of how big it is.  Finally, at $1.35 (plus tax) it is another one of their items that is a great value.  At that price you can justify taking the family out to the food court just for the frozen yogurt as a treat.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive? That's a 400 calorie treat! Even at $1.50, their 540 calorie hot dog (or the 680 calorie slice of pizza? Yikes!) does not strike me as all that much of a deal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small Chocolate Extreme Blizzard at Dairy Queen has 650 calories and 29 grams of fat versus the Costco frozen yogurt at 390 calories and 0 (zero) grams of fat.

    And the price for the Costco treat is way less than DQ.

    Here is the DQ nutrition info:

    http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/eats-and-treats/nutrition-facts/

    I didn't say it was low calorie, I just said it faired better than some similar treats and I can stand by that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that's well spent calories. Obviously anon this isn't something the strictest dieter like me is going to eat everyday, but when you've been working so hard and have an off day..Well I would gladly order this considering when I used to eat a lot, this would still have been too much yogurt for me! You get so full, definitely satisfying for the wallet, stomach, and brain.

    ReplyDelete