Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tucson Black And White Bean Salsa With Kirkland Signature Tortilla Strips By Mission

I have been on my new job for a week so I thought I would bring in some snacks to work. We had one of those big three pound bags of Kirkland Signature Tortilla Strips in the house and I thought they would be ample enough to satisfy my new friends at my new job.

The strips went well with this Tucson Black and White Bean Salsa.  Here is the recipe, courtesy of Bon Appetit, July 1993 issue.


Ingredients
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 15-ounce can Great Northern white beans, drained
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 large jalapeño chili, seeded, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
print a shopping list for this recipe

Preparation

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add corn and sauté until brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil and all remaining ingredients. Season generously with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)




My only modifications to the recipe is that I saute the corn in EVOO and then I splash the salsa with some EVOO and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I feel that the additional oil and extra time give the flavors a chance to disperse better.

While I like tomato salsa, I am fond of this recipe because the beans give the dish some body but it is still not heavy feeling.  And all the different colors make for a pretty dish.

This also works well as a filling for a meatless burrito. However, I did not get a chance to do that since the salsa was gone by the end of lunch time, which is good, because that means people enjoyed it!

4 comments:

  1. Nice salsa recipe. And aren't you nice to share with your fellow employees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!This looks so colorful and delicious.I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,

    First of all, congrats on a great blog. I have a question and maybe you know the answer. I got their Organic Tortilla Chips, both in California and NY, and they looked different. Do you know if they have the same supplier on both coasts, who are those suppliers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked today in Costco and they have both the Tortilla Strips by Mission and the Organic Tortilla Chips.

    They did not mention a manufacturer for the Chips, so I do not know who they are.

    But they definitely sell both products in the store I went to.

    Thanks for the compliment on the blog.

    ReplyDelete