Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lentil Quinoa Salad Recipe From Melissa d'Arabian-5th Season Winner Of The Next Food Network Star

We have been doing more with quinoa lately. It is versatile, extremely healthy, a great change of pace and the stuff from Costco is very affordable at four pounds for 8.99.  We had a family reunion on my side of the family this past weekend and we thought something with quinoa would be fun and different for the occassion.

The recipe my wife made was for a Lentil Quinoa Salad from Melissa d'Arabian's "10 Dollar Dinners" show.  It was very quick and easy to make and it did have an intriguing appearance.

While we liked it, it did not strike us as a "five star recipe" which is how it is listed on the Food Network site.  It just was not that exciting of a flavor profile.  We have made other dishes like Giada's Herbed Quinoa that we have liked much better.

That being said, I think it might be a good dish for a family with a couple kids that don't want flavors that are too bold but yet the adults want some variety.  In that context, I can see where people will rate it higher.

There was only about one serving left after the family reunion, so it was a success in that context.  Also, my wife took that last serving and spruced it up with some paprika and she said it was much better. Therefore, we might well make this dish again, but we will add to its spice profile.

12 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could get quinoa at costco. The price definitely seems right. Sorry to hear that this dish didn't quite live up to what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed into quinoa these days! I love the consistency of it. Interesting assessment - not quite a five star recipe? Kudos for putting it out there and going with it. Love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    I got to your blog by way of Addicted to Costco and I'm loving it. Quinoa... isn't it the best find at Costco. Quinoa is so good for you, a person can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

    I see you have a Vita Mix ad on the right of your blog page. I have one and just love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought a salad at Costco Quinoa Salad and it is amazing, would love to get the recipe.............Anyway of finding this ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love LOVE the Quinoa salad from Costco!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I am eating the Quinoa Salad from Costco I am searching for the recipe too........... Yes, it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still searching for the Quinoa Salad recipe that they have at Costco. Would love to hear if anyone has found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This might be close....

    http://culinarilyinclined.com/2011/11/quinoa-salad/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered the quinoa salad from Costco and I too would love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think the link above might be close.... just add cumin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got to your website by way of Dependent to Costco and I'm adoring it. Amaranth... isn't it the best discover at Costco. Amaranth is so excellent for you, a individual can eat it for morning meal,

    rs gold
    Buy Final Fantasy XIV Gil

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had found some QUINOA salad with nuts, rice, lentils, cranberries. This salad is awesome, I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    Does anyone know where I can get this recipe?

    ReplyDelete