First, I cooked up one small yellow onion with three medium cloves of pressed garlic. After they were nicely cooked, I added 1/2 cup white wine, the juice and fat in the bottom of the rotisserie chicken package, a 1/4 cup capers, a rinsed and drained can of cannellini beans and a bunch of artichoke hearts that had been chopped up. Then I juiced one large lemon and added the juice, plus the zest from the same lemon.
After the flavors had melded a bit I added about half the chicken chopped and let it all come to temperature. The finished product was served over jasmine rice.
This recipe from Robin Miller did provide some inspiration, so I do want to give her some credit. I liked the idea of the artichokes hearts in a piccata recipe, but then I made it my own by:
- Using fresh onion and garlic cooked in EVOO
- Eliminating the step of cooking the chicken by using a rotisserie chicken
- Cutting out some of the ingredients from the chicken breading since I used cooked chicken
- Adding the juices and fat from the chicken instead of broth
- Changing from brown to white rice
- Substituting cannellini beans and using more of them
- Cooking the beans in the sauce instead of with the rice
- Not caring about any measurement except for the wine and capers